5 Photography Tips for the Wannabe Instagram Pro
With the advent of social media, photography has become more mainstream than ever and public interest seems to be at an all time high. If you’re catching on to this trend, you are probably wondering why you are unable to capture gorgeous, high quality shots. The gospel truth is that most of these photos often require a great deal of effort and expertise, but just like everything in life, there is always room for improvement, all it takes is just some level of effort. With that being said, here are some tips and tricks to help step your game up if you’re a if you just want to take better photos for your Instagram.
1. Be confident: The first obstacle you must overcome is lack of confidence. Photography is a learning process and you will only get better the more you try. So be confident and don’t be afraid to fail, there are only lessons to be learnt.
2. Be Lit: Unless you live under a rock, you must have heard the word “Lit” being used to address something amazing and if you want your photos to be Lit, pay attention to Lighting. Lighting is one of those things that could make a break or good shot, so next time you’re taking photos ensure that you have adequate lighting.
Ways to get better light:
- Position yourself next to a window
- Bring the shoot outdoors
- Turn on some lamps
- Buy an inexpensive lightbox or make one!
3. Try different Angles: They say it’s always good to sit and look at life from a different angle, so why not apply that concept to your photography. Capturing photos from different angles is a good way to add a bit of energy to seemingly boring subjects and will help add uniqueness to your work.
4. Be yourself: Photography is a thing of passion and the more immersed in it you are, the better you will get. Every individual has a unique perspective, so go out there, be creative and have fun. Instagram likes consistency & themes, so if you're a foodie - Share all your food photos! If you are talking about you're life as a mom, share pictures of that! Randomness won't make for a nice feed, so use a planning tool to make sure you feed is #Fire.
5. Use colour: On the theme of planning your Instagram, let's talk about colours & filters. These can help enhance you photo quality and tell a story about you and your brand through colour! If your company colors are red & black, look for visuals that match that theme, and make those colors pop using filters. Instagram provides some, but you can also find other apps like VSCO.
WARNING: Do not overuse filters. Altering you're photos too much can make it look unprofessional! So use this tip in moderation.
Good luck becoming an Instagram photography pro! Let us know any good tips you have to take your photography to the next level.